Treadmills NZ Buyers Guide
Elite Fitness has been assisting customers buy treadmills for many years so we have sourced a great visual guide to help you with purchasing your first nz treadmill for home. We have in-store or online a treadmill to meet your budget requirements whether entry level or top of the line.
We've covered F.A.Q. about treadmills for sale found further below the page
What features to consider when buying in a treadmill:
||Treadmill Motor: The most valuable component to look for when buying a treadmill is the motor. Motor sizes can vary from 1.75 CHP (Continuous Horse Power) to 3.5 CHP. With a stronger quality motor, comes a smoother, more enjoyable workout. If you are going to invest in a treadmill get the best quality motor that your can afford.
||Deck Size: The next important component to look at when purchasing in a treadmill is the deck size. A larger deck allows for a fluid, safe, & more comfortable run. Deck sizes cam range from 40cm x 120cm to 51cm x 152cm. Having a bigger deck size also allows for a better experience for many users of the same treadmill.
||Incline: An important treadmill component to consider is Incline motor. Most treadmills come with Power Incline, allowing the running deck to raise from 0% - 10% with some treadmills going as high as 40%. While walking up a hill you can burn up to 5x more(40%) energy than a normal flat surface walk.
||Cushioning: The cushioning on your mill is important depending on your type of workout. To accommodate most runners, treadmills will have different cushioning setup like soft decks or adjustable cushioning for varialbe running techniques.
Personal Trainer written prgroams are an important upgrade for your treadmill because they make working out more enjoyable and it helps pass the time quicker. It has been shown that people exercise longer by having personalised programs and entertainment on their running machine.
- iPod/MP3 compatible with top quality speakers.
- Exercise programs designed by fitness trainers.
- Exercise fans to help keep you cool.
- Heart rate sensors to provide quick and accurate readings.
- SpaceSavers design for folding away to reduce storage space when not in use
- High resolution Console displays to show you your workout stats.
- iFit technology (unique to Icon Fitness treadmills)
What makes a great walking treadmill?
- Save money and grab a treadmill with a Quality 1.75 to 2.0 CHP motor.
- If you plan to only walk, a deck size of 120 x 40 centimetres will meet your exercising needs.
- Cushioning isn't as important for walkers as it is for runners.
What makes a great jogging/runner's treadmill?
- If you are a jogger/runner, look for a machine that has at least a quality 2.5 CHP motor.
- If you are tall (5'10"+) or a runner, look for a treadmill that has at least a 140cm x 46cm inch deck. This allows you to be able to take long running strides.
- Unless you are training for a 5 minute mile, or enjoying a quick sprint, a treadmill that goes 18 KPH is adequate.
Most treadmills can handle users up to 135kg, however, it is always a good idea to look for a treadmill with the following if you are over 100-150kg:
- A treadmill that has at least a 3.0 motor.
- Durable 2 ply tread belt. All tread belts are either a 1 or 2-ply which means if they are thicker they will be more durable. They're also "quiet" tread belts that reduce the noise allowing you to listen to your iPod or TV.
- High quality cushioning is key to limiting joint and back pain.
- A thick running deck to take the extra wear and tear when running.